Following a feasibility study North Lanarkshire Council partnered with Clyde Valley Housing Association to regenerate the Old Wellwynd Church and develop a social enterprise hub in Lanarkshire called One Wellwynd.
Old Wellwynd Church was built in 1847 and is C listed. It is situated next to Airdrie town centre and overlooks the associated burial ground which pre dates the church. One Wellwynd Church is notable as being the first public building in Airdrie and was continually in use until 1995. It then became redundant as a place of worship and also derelict.
To bring back into productive use the former Old Wellwynd Church and provide facilities for use by social economy organisations and contribute to the ongoing regeneration of Airdrie Town Centre.
By specifically targeting social enterprises into one central hub we are creating a professional and progressive environment which will enhance the growth and joint working of the tenant organisations, and thereby provide the core environment for the delivery of excellent service to our collective customers.
- To refurbish and refit a 100+ year old building for effective use in the 21st Century;
- To provide high quality office space for social economy organisations within Airdrie;
- To provide first class conference and meeting space for a variety of organisations;
- To create a ‘hub’ for social economy organisations and their customers;
- To financially manage the building so as to secure its long-term sustainability; and
- To manage the building efficiently in an environment of professionalism and friendly support.